Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Roller Coaster

The adoption agency called last weekend to let us know of "good new/bad news". The bad news was we did not get a court date yet, she said "two more weeks". The good news was our case has been through the committees and they have waived our 30 day waiting period! So, that means once we have our court date we can travel right away! The reputation of good adoption "juju" on memorial day weekend continues.We were beyond excited!!! And a bit panicked!!! That means we would only have a weeks notice before travel. Yikes. But I am sure we can do whatever we need, as quickly as we need, to get Dimitri home as soon as possible. As rapidly as our excitement rose, it came down. When I called the agency back to clarify what "two weeks" meant did it mean within two weeks? in exactly two weeks? or after two weeks? She replied "in Kyrgyzstan all those things mean the same thing", so in reality it is all just words and we don't know anything at all about when we may have a court date. When people said adoption is like a roller coaster ride, I was not sure what they meant. I sure do now!


I have become somewhat obsessed with reading yahoo posts and other peoples blogs to try and gather information about what may be happening with the adoption process in Kyrgyzstan. This weekend I became aware of more disheartening news. From what I gather there are two committees which read through all your papers (dossier) and give approval. Our case has been through these committees. Then I have learned that there is one final head person who has to sign off on a dossier before it can be submitted to court for final approval, before you can bring your child home. At this point the person who is in this position is only acting until a permanent candidate can be appointed by the Minister of Education. I have gathered that this acting person was just about to sign off on all of the waiting dossiers when someone informed this him/her that they actually do not have the authority to do this. The signing off can only be done by the official appointed person. So I the roller coaster is at a stand still until the Minister of Education appoints an official person to this position. Which I guess could take months. Prayers, Prayers, Prayers!!!! What else can we do?

No comments: