Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Funny How Things Happen

Well we do not have any rock solid definite news but we do have some information that is being reported consistently. The information is about the "new process" . It appears that the first step in the process is that cases are presented to the Minister of Adoption in Kyrgyzstan. He accepts them and then forwards them on to five other committee members, who individually read and sign off on them. If approved, the adoption agency coordinator is then given a letter of approval. There is then a new 21 day waiting period before a court date can be assigned. After the 21 days and court approval there is then a 30 day waiting period and then you are given permission to travel and bring your child home. The first batch of waiting cases is suppose to be presented to the committee this week. Although we are amongst the families waiting the longest, we will not make it into the first batch and there will be families that have waited a much shorter time who do. This is so because they are not taking cases according to which children have been waiting longest. They are allowing each different coordinator working in the country to present a few cases. Unfortunately, our agency coordinator works for two different US adoption agencies and there are a few families from the other agency that have been waiting longer than we have. So, we don't make it into the first batch. This was very hard for me to hear and accept but it is only right that our coordinator works to bring those children home first. It is a frustrating system that has been set up but it is nothing I can change. However, if there is true movement of cases this week, I will be so happy because it will mean the system is no longer stuck and everyone is that much closer to bringing their children home. It was a long, hard weekend coming to a place of peace and acceptance. Although I was able to feel more peaceful, I was not able to shake my sadness and worry about Dimitri, his health and well being. I was left still searching for ways to cope with having him be over there for several more months. How am I going to ease this worry and ache.

Well, we are truly being watched over and taken care of by God. Although sometimes I don't trust it as I should because It doesn't always happen in exactly the way I think or want it to, I am often given obvious reminders. Today I received one of those reminders. It came in the form of a note from Suzanne another fellow adopting parent. She was in Bishkek in June and took some pictures of Dimitri for us. In her note today she made the following comment:

You know, every single time I saw Dimitri's caregiver (Anne Meara ;-) she was with him. I kind of wondered if maybe you had hired her to work one-on-one with him. She really seemed so devoted to him. I'm glad knowing that helps you.

Well, we had left money with our coordinator in Bishkek to hire someone to help care for Dimitri. However, after we got home we never heard anything more about it and were not sure where the money would truly go. Well, YEAH!!!! it looks like it has gone where it was meant to go. I can not tell you how happy this makes me! And how much it eases my mind and heart in light of having to wait several more months to scoop him into my arms and bring him home. Thank you God and Suzanne!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Aw, you're welcome, Shelley! I wish I had thought to tell you that way back in June!

We should probably explain to your peops that I have dubbed Dimitri's caregiver "Anne Meara" because she reminded me of that actress/comedienne. That's not her real name...as far as know.

Hugs
Suzanne

Gen 's Family Story said...

Shelley,
That was sad to hear that you weren't in the first batch. I'll email you privately:) Keep heart, things are starting to move!!