Monday, November 17, 2008

New Post Old News

I started writing this post ohhh maybe three weeks ago. Although I have been feeling hopeful, I just have not had it in me to put anything into words. So, I think I am ready to try to catch up on the posts.

Adoptions in Kyrgyzstan continue to be delayed. The US State Department issued a statement a week or so ago (several weeks now) warning people against initiating any new adoptions in Kyrgyzstan. Our adoption agency has advised us to hold back on taking any action with regards to the adoption delays in Kyrgyzstan. However, several other agencies as well as individual families have started to make contact with US government officials notifying them of the delays in Kyrgyzstan. The US Embassy in Bishkek as well as the Kyrgyzstan Ambassador to the US have been notified of the problem including being given a list of all the families and children that are waiting. The Joint Council for International Children's Services (JCICS)and the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI) have also been made aware of the problem and are looking into it. It is a fine line we are all walking at this point. Too much involvement and pressure from the US side could cause them to shut the program down all together and that is not what we want!
Surprisingly, In spite of the delay, I feel a sense of peace. I am hopeful that with new eyes on the problem things will begin to move.

No comments: