Although lots has gone on I have not been able to find it in myself to post anything. But today I have it. So here goes:
On February 6th we recieved this invitation form the Dept of State
"We are writing to invite you to participate in a conference call for adoptive parents to talk with representatives from the Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. The call will be Wednesday, February 11, at 10 a.m. EST. "
So for 6 days we waited in prickly anticipation of what we would learn from this. Tension rose within me at least. Although I know better I was hoping for some answers and positive news. There were over 100 people on the call. We learned that there are 67 US families that have been matched with children that are waiting to bring them home and over 100 dossiers that have been submitted and are waiting. The representatives of the State Department let us know that they do not know why the halt in processing adoptions is happening in Kyrgyzstan and thus they do not have a plan for how to resolve the problem and that the problem will not be resolved quickly. Not even close to what I wanted to hear. The positive is that they are aware of the problem and are working on it and in fact had a meeting set up with the Deputy MOE in Kyrgyzstan for the next day.
That same day we learned tha a new MOE had been appointed. We remained a bit hopeful until the below information came in on Friday afternoon.
On February 13th we got the following summary of what the US Embassy learned from their meeting with the Deputy MOE:
The Kyrgyz Government has formed an adoption commission that includes officials from the Vice Prime Minister’s office, the Ministries of Education, Social Protection and Labor, Foreign Affairs, Internal Affairs, and Justice, as well as the General Prosecutor’s office. This commission is responsible for drafting new adoption policy and legislation, with special emphasis on clarifying the roles and responsibilities of the different agencies involved. The commission will recommend whether the Kyrgyz Republic should join the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption. The commission plans to report to Parliament by March 20; the Parliament will then choose what action it will take on these proposals. The Kyrgyz government does not intend to process any adoption cases, new or pending, until the adoption commission issues its report and Parliament has taken action on its recommendations.
Although the new legislation likely will not affect existing cases of children already matched with adoptive parents, it will allow the Ministry of Education authority to resume processing these adoption dossiers. New adoption cases would be subject to any new requirements established by Parliament.
The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the situation and will provide clarification as soon as it is received.
A new committee, a new date, acting on new legislation. We have been down this road before a couple of times over the past year. This is not good news!!! And I do not understand why if pending cases will not be subject to changes in legislation, are the continuing to make these cases wait??? Sounds like just another excuse to me. So down it plummets and I realize I need to make a shift of some kind so that I don't go down with it. What that shift will be is the subject of my contemplation. I will never close the door on Dimitri but I do need to shift to be able to remain present to appreciate all the beauty I have in my life right now.

1 comment:
Loved the pictures!!!
Post a Comment